Cleaner Production assessment is one of the systematic and useful diagnostic tool. This is a systematic procedure for the identification and evaluation of Cleaner Production options for the companies that are launching a Cleaner Production project. The methodology allows us to identify areas of inefficient use of resources and poor management of wastes in production.
- Planning and Organization
The objective of this phase is to obtain a commitment to the project, allocate resources and plan the details of the work to come.
- Obtain Management Commitment.
- Establish a Project Team.
- Develop Environmental Policy, Objectives and Plan the Cleaner Production Assessment.
The objective of the pre-assessment is to obtain an overview of the production and environmental aspects of a company. Production processes are best represented by a flow chart showing inputs, outputs, and environmental problem areas.
- Company Description and Flow Chart.
- Walk-through Inspection.
- Establish a Focus.
The aim of the assessment phase is to collect data and evaluate the environmental performance and production efficiency of the company. Data collected about management activities can be used to monitor and control overall process efficiency, set targets and calculate monthly or yearly indicators. Data collected about operational activities can be used to evaluate the performance of a specific process.
- Collection of Quantitative Data.
- Material Balance.
- Identify Cleaner Production Opportunities.
- Record and Sort Options.
- Evaluation and Feasibility Study.
The objective of the evaluation and feasibility study phase is to evaluate the proposed Cleaner Production opportunities and to select those suitable for implementation. The opportunities selected during the assessment phase should all be evaluated according to their technical, economic and environmental merits.
- Preliminary Evaluation.
- Technical Evaluation.
- Economic Evaluation.
- Environmental Evaluation.
- Select Viable Options.
- Implementation and Continuation.
The objective of the last phase of the assessment is to monitor the implementations and the results of the selected options. It will leads to both reductions in resource consumption and waste generation.
- Prepare an Implementation Plan.
- Implement Selected Options.
- Monitor Performance.
- Sustain Cleaner Production Activities